Saturday, July 2, 2011

Celebrating the world's tallest flying bird

Continuing my series of temari inspired by cranes, I made one that reminds me of the Sarus Crane, the worlds tallest flying bird. When it flies, quite a bit of black is visible on its wing tips.
 You can learn more about this magnificent bird that lives in India, Nepal, and Pakistan at the International Crane Foundation's site.
 I wrapped this 3.6" (9.2 cm) diameter temari with DMC coton perle 8. Like cranes, this embroidery thread comes in black and white and lovely shades of gray. This is the first temari I've made with Nordic Gold thread. It really set off the sections of threads and made them look more like feathers. Compare it to the previous ball that I did before I got the gold.

5 comments:

Asplund said...

Wow! I think you've out-Rududued yourself with this one!

Carolina said...

Hey thanks! I'm giving some thought to how I can rududu myself again. :-)

Barb Suess said...

I see the feathers! It's a beautiful temari :)

Carolina said...

Thanks, Barb!

lindsay said...

Carolina, son fantasticos!! We miss you guys...