Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My fleet of UFOs

Something once came over me and I made a big push to finish up all my knitting UFOs (UnFinished Objects). I even ripped out a partially completed vest I didn't enjoy knitting which had been sitting  for over a decade and used the yarn to make something else.
   I've often had a project in limbo for years. I often design my own projects and sometimes get to a place where I don't know what to do. (This wouldn't happen so much if I had a plan for the entire project in mind when I start, but I think I'll have some brilliant idea for sleeves once I get to them. And then don't, at least for a while, have any idea whatsoever.)
So once I diligently finished all my projects and only had one underway, did I bask in the glow of being a responsible adult? No. I didn't like it at all.
Then I realized each knitter has an optimum number of projects underway.  Too few and you might not have any knitting that is mindless enough to do while watching TV or you might have only mindless knitting that doesn't really excite you.
Too many UFOs and one's life feels out of control. So I've decided my optimum number of projects is six. Since I currently only have five, perhaps it's time to cast something on. What's your optimum number of projects?

3 comments:

Laura said...

Apart from the very top project, I don't see anything in the "lazy,semi-brainless TV Knitting" category about your lovely WIPs.
For me the ideal number is 3. More and I feel burdened by my knitting basket. But I don't count swatches for future projects among my 3 projects. Casting on used to be a sign that I had reached a frustrating point with all the various wips -- more of a delaying tactic than an actual burning desire to start a given project. Your milage may vary...

torirot said...

I too think there is an optimum number, but I haven't found mine yet. When an UFO is in hibernation - does it still count? I don't...

Carolina said...

I think you can count however you like. It's your game.