Sunday, June 16, 2013

I'm excited about my socks

  I've knit a lot of socks, even though sometime in the past I said something like "I would never spend all that time knitting something that no one would even see." A few years ago I realized that besides preventing inundation by sweaters, knitting socks has much to commend it. It's easy to take a sock along, even one that is almost complete. That's not true of sweaters. Also, hand knit socks are really, really comfortable since they actually fit.  One-size-fits-all is a cruel joke to someone with long feet.
      I've knit lots of fancy socks with interesting patterns such as these from a free pattern called Pomatomus.
  Lately I've been knitting basic socks with various easy stitch patterns that I can knit during Scrabble games or while watching a video. My most recent pair use a stitch pattern called Stansfield 12 from a book called More Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. While I found the author's instructions for knitting socks to contain some errors, the collection of stitch patterns is very useful.
  It really surprised me that when I put my new socks on, the stitch pattern looked completely different than when it's not on the foot. It's a subtle kind of excitement that I'm not expecting anyone else to notice, but I like it.

3 comments:

Els said...

Wow Carolina, love that pomatomus (fish scale) socks !!! (just checked out the pattern ..... but that will not do for me :-( : way too complicated ......
Your Fair Isle vest is super !

Carolina said...

Thanks Els! I'm also enjoying simpler socks right now.

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

socks socks socks socks
(sung to the Micky Mouse Club song)
Your FEET know how much work you put it, how beautiful the socks are, how clever you are.