Sunday, April 7, 2013

Size matters

   I recently stitched two balls of very different sizes with the same design and it's interesting to see how different they look. The design is Interlocked Puzzle in Temari Techniques by Barbara Suess. The directions call for a 32 cm circumference ball but I happened to have a 45 cm C10 ball sitting around so I used that. (It's the bigger ball in the photo below. ) It looked a little sparse so I used one more row in each shape than Barb called for.
   Then I decided to stitch a smaller ball and used one with a 30 cm circumference/3.75". I think they make a nice pair because I used blues and greens in both. Using a dark thread to mark the ball made a difference; those lines are much more prominent in the smaller ball because of the contrast with the base thread.

2 comments:

Els said...

Can't even stárt to imagine how you dó this ;-)
Love them both, they really belong together ....
They're quite big though, that must take a l o t of yarn ....

Carolina said...

Most of the volume is the core. In this case, coffee husks because I can get them from a coffee grower here in Costa Rica. In the US I used rice husks, available from beer brewing supply companies. So the yarn is only about 50 grams. The big ones do take a lot of thread though.